Tuesday, February 22, 2011

weekly basketball and thesis update

I finished the first draft of the final copy of my thesis document on Sunday morning. I'll probably be making changes to it in consultation with my advisor over the next few weeks or so. It's nice to have a draft done, but I've still got quite a bit of work to do if I'm going to be able to get it done and defended before the end of the semester (do-able, but quite a bit of work).

Intramural basketball was fun last night. After a pretty unimpressive first half (I only scored 2 points), I had a great run in the second half. In one 3-4 minute stretch, I had a layup, three 3-pointers in a row, and a three-point play (for a total of 14 straight points). It was just one of those days. I finished with 18 points, and we turned a close game into a blowout by the end.

It was a nice end to an otherwise uneventful day. I'll take it.

UPDATE:

Today just got a lot more eventful. Last week, I submitted a paper to Psychological Science, arguably psychology's best journal. In order to get published, the paper has to get past a cursory initial review from an editor (stage 1). It then has to get past reviews from three of the top scholars in the particular sub-subfield of the paper's topic (stage 2). It then has to get past the editor again (stage 3).

Psych Science gets almost 3,000 submissions a year from all different kinds of psychologists, and they typically reject 60-85% during stage 1. I just found out today that my paper got past stage 1. It's a miracle!

The bad news: They typically reject another 65% of the papers that get to stage 2, so the paper probably won't end up getting published. I won't find out the final decision for about two months, though, so at least I can celebrate the good news until then!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Max!
The fun game AND your article making it through phase one! We are so proud of you and all your hard work...and glad you are playing basketball. I spent many hours sitting on the floor of the gym at Western, rooting for the Stud Raiders!
Love ya--mom

Anonymous said...

Nice work Max.

-From one publish or perish victim to another.

Anonymous said...

We're praying for Stage 2. Apparently your basketball game doesn't need any prayer!

Congrats on the first draft of your Thesis too!

"Randy-capped"

hannah said...

GREAT FREAKIN NEWS MAX!!!!!! Wow! I was so excited when I read that about your article. It sounds like you are getting some well deserved recognition on your work. Praying for you! Love you guys :)

hannah said...

Oh and also it must feel great to at least have a rough banged out for your thesis. Could it be that you are almost done with school??? Does this mean I should call you Dr?

Anonymous said...

notes from the office...It's Alive!