Sunday, January 23, 2011

it's all fun and games until someone sets a deadline

Because it's still the beginning of the semester, my work hasn't started to pile up yet. And neither has the resultant stress. This semester is set up to be the best term of all time for me (as a grad student) in terms of the potential to get work done. I've only got one class (a seminar where we just sit and talk about research ideas), and I have to skip most of it every week because I'm teaching a class that meets in the middle of it. So that leaves me with most of every day available for research and writing. If all goes well, I'll be able to defend my thesis in April or so, which will leave me on track to get my dissertation started next year, which will leave me on track to get a job in 2032.

One nice thing about the first few weeks of this semester is that I've been able to do little (or no) work on the weekends. True, there have only been two so far, but I'll take what I can get. I've been filling my time with things like rearranging our files, cleaning the garage, etc. Yesterday, I would have liked to get our taxes done, but Sarah hasn't gotten her W-2s yet, so that was out. Instead, I ended up making a big batch of granola, two homemade pizzas, and pierogies (sauteed homemade pasta filled with rosemary and garlic mashed potatoes). Then I freaked Sarah out by rearranging all the furniture in the living and dining rooms.

But that doesn't leave me with much to do in the four hours I have before church today. Maybe I'll put all of the furniture back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, what kind of vitamins do you take anyway?

Anonymous said...

It always freaks me out when your dad rearranges furniture too, Max. My reaction initially looks like a panic attack, then I usually calm down and sometimes even like the changes. I want to come to your house for lunch. Sorry we missed your call today--we went to church and Hannah's and forgot our phone!! If you have some free time, give us another call ....Love and miss you, Mom

Anonymous said...

I hear your furniture rearrangement has messed with Barney's mind!! Have a great week at your seminar, Jan

Anonymous said...

At least you have furniture! Jabron