Friday, January 14, 2011

don't try and text me your comments

Let me preface this story by reminding most of you that I am a generally tech-savvy kind of guy. I know about the newest gadgets and trends, and I can usually find my way around all-things electronic without any problems. One place where I've been left behind? Texting. Cell phones hit the mainstream (when almost everyone had one) about the time I was finishing college. By then, I didn't really have any friends, and I definitely didn't need text anyone on a regular basis to find the nearest party, or to say hello, or whatever, so I never really got that into it. Fast-forward to a few years later.


I was playing basketball the other day when one of the guys asked if I wanted to play on his intramural basketball team. I've played with this guy a lot, and we've gotten to know each other a little bit. I should mention that he's a few years younger than me (*ahem* almost 10).  I did want to play, although I don't know if it will work out because the games are probably all past my bedtime, so he handed me his iPhone so I could enter my number into his contact list. Then he said he would text me when he found out the schedule for this season.


Uh oh. I don't have text. What do I say?


Me: Um... I'm really old. I don't have text on my phone.

Him: Blank stare. Look on his face is a combination of confusion and anxiety. Umm...Ok...Umm...

Me: I guess a phone call would be out of the question? Perhaps you forgot, I just handed you my number approximately 1 second ago. Here, let me give you my email address. Just send it there.

Him: Looking relieved. Oh, ok. That will work.


Crisis averted. Next stop: male pattern baldness.

4 comments:

hannah said...

I just left a really long comment but I don't think it posted. Anyway I run into this alllll the time at work "I'll just text you." No one wants to actually have to talk to you.

Anonymous said...

Kind of scary to be in the same boat as your in-laws!

Anonymous said...

Good news dear: you have at least 20 years until you feel like a COMPLETE idiot!
Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

I would write something witty but I am over 50 and no one listens anyway so why bother...