Tuesday, December 28, 2010

the big time

Our trip around France was cut short due to snow, but we had a really good time while we were away. We stayed in two great hotels: one in Strasbourg and once in Metz. Sarah and my room in Metz was this really cool attic room with exposed beams and an amazing view of a neighboring cathedral. It also had a (very) leaky jaccuzi tub. I think we may have been one bath away from one of those scenes from TV where we went crashing down in the room below us.

We went to the local Christmas markets and ate lots of great food at some local restaurants. One specialty we tried is called tartiflette. It's scalloped potatoes with a special cheese (reblochon) and onions and smoked ham. It's my new favorite. One day, Sarah and I even got interviewed by one of the French national news stations! (Maybe the equivalent of being on NBC nightly news--maybe less fancy than that though). We don't know if they ever actually aired our clip, but it was still exciting. We were just walking around a market minding our own business when I guy stopped me and asked (in French) if I would be willing to answer a few questions. I, of course, said that I would but that I was just a stupid American who didn't speak any French so my wife would have to do all the talking. He and the camera lady thought that was funny, and so they asked us a few questions and then had us say we were from Texas (the last part in English). We were all hopped up on our excitement all day after that.

Pictures forthcoming on Sarah's blog or mine, depending on who is less lazy in the next few days...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really fun--wouldn't it have been interesting to see yourself on French tv? I look forward to your version of the new favorite recipe...)Love, mom