Friday, June 11, 2010

dog days of summer

Starting Sunday, my friend and I are headed across the country to present some of our research at a conference on the west coast. His wife is also going to be out of town for back-to-back weekend weddings and a week of work training in between (all in another state). That leaves Sarah to hold down the fort--with the addition of their lab/pitbull mix, Sawyer, for the week.

Both dogs are still adolescents, so they are playful and RAMBUNCTIOUS. My friend and his wife left for the first wedding early this morning, and I've been working nonstop trying to get both dogs to stop roughhousing in the house. I hope to have them ready before Sarah has to fly solo in a few days, but I think I have my work cut out for me. Already, there have been lots of timeouts in their crates and lots of positive reinforcement. Yes, I did say timeouts. Believe it or not, they've been more effective than yelling. After all, it's not appropriate to punch dogs. No matter how much you might want to.

After 3.5 hours, both of them finally decided to lay down. It was very quiet and still for a moment. Then I saw a little black and orange head slowly peek out from around a corner (Mowgli). That was a nice five minutes of peace. She saw the new dog sleeping on the floor, HER FLOOR, and froze. Too late. She'd been spotted behind enemy lines. He lazily lifted his head, and she receded into the shadows like an apparition. Unfortunately, dogs are curious about apparitions, and that was the end of nap time. After some more timeouts and playing outside (the timeout free zone), the dogs came in and went back to sleep. The end. Until, four minutes later, Gizmo crept up and pounced on Sawyer's tail...

P.S. Sarah is a saint.

2 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

Sounds like my kids! Jan

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! By the end of the week Sarah will either have them behaving, she will embrace the chaos..or be crazy :) You all will owe her ice cream and other treats big time! Of course we will be praying for all of you--I know you will be careful on your travels. Love, Mom