Sunday, January 31, 2010

The weekend has been far too short. That probably has something to do with the 60 hours I worked last week and the 10 hours I worked yesterday. The good news is that things could be a lot worse for me. I guess that being a member of the wealthiest society in the history of the earth has its advantages.

One of those advantages is abundant food. Today I made homemade granola, and it turned out fantastically. The secret, it turns out, is a fruit puree.

Recipe: mix together the following ingredients. For most items, I didn't really measure a quantity: just add as much as what tastes good to you.

6 cups rolled oats
2 cups whole almonds (then chop them)
honey (maybe 1/4 cup)
vanilla (maybe 1 tbs)
cinnamon (maybe 1 tsp)
brown sugar (maybe 1/4 cup)
fruit puree or apple sauce (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
optional: shaved coconut

Spread an even layer on wax paper on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until the mixture starts to brown (maybe 15 - 20 minutes). Mine smoked a little but never burned. I wouldn't worry about smoke. It probably won't hurt you very much. Anyway, remove it from the oven and let it cool. As it cools, the granola will dry out further and become crunchy and truly fantastic. Once completely cool, add dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, whatever) or chocolate chips (my favorite) or whatever you want. DO NOT OMIT THE FRUIT PUREE. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or ziploc bag. Supposedly it will last for a long time, but I think you'll eat it long before then.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

ooooohhh! Very different than mine! Did you stir it half-way its cooking time? I will try this tomorrow!

Randy et Jan said...

Now I have TWO granola recipes to try with having Rebekah's as well!! Sounds like a contest to me!! Jan

Anonymous said...

Will definitely try this--ready made granola is so expensive. I ordered my food processor finally and am looking forward to getting it this week! Have a great week! Love, Mom

Max said...

I didn't actually stir it but probably could have...

hannah said...

Hi Max. That sounds SOOOOO good. Thanks for the recipe...I will try it soon. Granola is too expensive to buy but soo good..I never thought to make it!

Anonymous said...

But, how do you shave a coconut? Can I use your dad's razor? Moom