Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Today was the last meeting for one of the classes I teach. After I told the students they were free and could go, two students came up to my desk to turn in some papers.

Student 1: Hands me her paper. I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed this class, and I learned a lot this semester.

Me: Feeling good about myself. Really? That's great! Thanks for telling me!

Student 2: Hands me his paper. I didn't learn anything.

Me: Feeling slightly less good about myself, a number of retorts run through my mind. 1) I wonder if you not learning anything this semester has anything to do with the fact that you listened to your iPod for the entirety of every class because you thought I couldn't see the headphones under your hood? 2) Oh, if you'd just said that you already knew everything about psychology, I would have let you teach the class. 3) That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. 4) Oh, well if you didn't learn anything, then I guess I'll have to give you a failing grade in the class. Instead, I decided to go with: Thanks for telling me!

But what I was really thinking, as you may have guessed, is that not everyone should go to college.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Not everyone should go to college."

You are right in this statement; especially people who are dumb enough to bash their teacher to his face! Man.

It's very enlightening to sit on the other side of the desk, isn't it?

Another good answer would have been, "Really? That's too bad, cause I am learning a lot from you, even now."

But your answer was best! Good job teacher!

Moom (that's code for "mom" so people won't discount my answers as prejudiced...don't tell.)

Anonymous said...

I can't help but think that the first student was female and the second, male! Am I right? Jan

Anonymous said...

Remember grades are the great equalizer...

Anonymous said...

College kids can't be quite interesting! Randy

Anonymous said...

Max, go to www.cbsnews.com under the health section. There's an interesting article dated 12/2/08 claiming that 1 in 5 young people have a mental health issue! Your blog seems to indicate that it might be more that 20% !

Randy