Monday, December 01, 2008

Yesterday the fortune-telling meteorologists at the National Weather Service said we were likely to have 4-8 inches of snow accumulate last night and into the afternoon today. In adulthood, I've always contended that they just guess when it comes to stuff like this, and so I try and make fun of their predictions whenever possible. I think they shattered my snow-day-dreams one too many times when I was a child.

Anywho, I started thinking about this most recent prognostication. As you may have noticed, they recognize that they're going to be off by at least 4 inches. Let's tack that 4 inches of assumed error onto the high and low ends of the 4-8 inches. Hmm... now it seems that they've predicted somewhere between 0 and 12 inches of accumulation. That's weird, because I make that same prediction every day of winter.

How did my forecast stack up? Let's check what's happened outside. Survey says... there's approximately a quarter inch of snow in my yard. Zero to 12 inches prevails again! Hey everybody, I'm a weatherman!

Not everyone should go to meteorological college.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your wife must have been VERY sad today...

Anonymous said...

P.S. Many schools were cancelled in OUR area...

Anonymous said...

Hey, so was bill ayers and look where it got him...snow man of a different type!
Love, Mommy