Monday, September 15, 2008

Probably because the media streams it into every waking moment of my consciousness (metaphorically speaking, of course), I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming presidential election. I've come to the following conclusions.
  1. John McCain is not my ideal candidate
  2. Barack Obama is not my ideal candidate
  3. If Barack Obama died in office, Joe Biden would not be likely to do something stupid that might irrevocably alter world history
  4. If John McCain died in office, Sarah Palin might do something stupid that would irrevocably alter world history
  5. John McCain might die in office (old age, disease, disaster, etc.)
  6. I haven't been convinced to vote for Barack Obama, but I have been convinced that I can't vote for John McCain because of Sarah Palin
Update as of 11:35 AM

Let me clarify: I don't think she's any more intelligent than your average hockey mom, which is exactly who she claims to be. I don't think she's qualified to lead a major city, much less a world superpower (previous experience = short stint as mayor of a town of 9,500 + short stint as governor of a state of 670,00). I don't think she's been entirely honest with the American public (for example, see her comments about her positions on the "Bridge to Nowhere" and "earmarked" funds). I don't think she'd be on the ticket if McCain hadn't wanted to pander to the evangelicals/white, middle-class women.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of Palin, or any other hockey mom, presiding over the Senate and having the potential to step in to the most powerful position in the world.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion. Sarah (Palin) has about 2 months to get this running the world thing figured out...patience is a virtue.

Anonymous said...

so, what about a hockey dad stepping into that position?? From what I have seen I am totally devoid of any desire to vote unless I can write you in as a candidate and vote for you. You will get two votes in the presidential election. By the way you have a smarter Sarah to run with you.

Anonymous said...

NO ONE ON EARTH has the ability to lead this nation...heaven help those that do. It ( intervention from Heaven) will be the ONLY WAY it gets done right.

Anonymous said...

Do I hear Millard Fillmore rolling over in his grave...

Anonymous said...

U.S. Grant needed to drink to get the job done...

Anonymous said...

Warren G. Harding...now THAT was a winner...I believe his wife poisoned his lunch after a "certain" Clintonian issue...

Anonymous said...

I am a white, middle class evangelical woman and I don't feel very pandered. I don't care for hockey, that's why. :( Your mom

Anonymous said...

I am not quite sure I'd want to cast my vote based on the strengths or failings of the VICE presidential nominees. As for the actual candidates....hmm. I've never been wholeheartedly FOR a candidate. Jan