Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Um... what?

I was proctoring an intro psychology exam the other day (watching students and answering questions) when I had an interesting interaction. A student raised her hand to get my attention, so I walked over to see if I could answer her question. I'd already answered a few of her questions that day, so I wasn't really expecting what happened next.

Student: Um...what? Points at question #36.
Me: I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her question.
Student: Alternates between looking blankly at me and blankly at the question.
Me: Um...could you maybe rephrase your question?
Student: Panicked look.
Me: I think this question is just asking you to explain what effect tranquilizing drugs have on your brain.
Student: But...I've never done drugs! How am I supposed to know?
Me: Um...I think this question is asking less about personal experience and more about what your book says...

2 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

Ummm. I thought personal experience trumped book learning every time!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was just high school freshmen were literal...