Sunday, November 06, 2011

Did you feel that?

Last night I watched the big LSU-Alabama football game. It was on late. Sarah was asleep. The house was quiet and still. I felt a weird sensation. Some shaking. It got a little stronger and persisted. My train of thought went like this:

1 second in: What is this, an earthquake?
3 seconds in: Interception! No!!
5 seconds in: Hey, that hanging light fixture is swaying. I think this is actually an earthquake!
7 seconds in: No!! No one is ever going to believe me!

It immediately brought me back to the only other earthquake I've experienced. I can see it vividly. I was three years old (almost four), and Mom and I were over at Grandma and Grandpa's house watering their plants because they were away. I was sitting on their stairway with my head between the rails, and I felt the stairs move underneath me.

Me: "Mom! The stairs are moving!!"
Mom: No, silly.

It turned out that I was feeling a 5.0 earthquake centered about 225 miles away in Cleveland, OH. The one I felt last night was the same distance away, and it was of a similar magnitude (5.6). But, Sarah, the light fixture WAS moving. It was!!

3 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

I believe you......I do!

Anonymous said...

Paranormal activity in Texas...

Anonymous said...

Heehee--I believe you this time! :)