Wednesday, July 06, 2011

more adventures in manland

Before about two weeks ago, I knew approximately nothing about car maintenance. I take that back. I knew that I had to take the car in to an auto shop for regular maintenance and a wallet-emptying procedure. At the shop, manly, grease-stained men would do things to my car that I couldn't. But no more. Now, because of the internet, it is me who is grease stained.

When Sarah's car turned over 100,000 miles, I figured it was time for a major tune up. Instead of taking it to a local shop, I took it to Google. (Figuratively speaking, of course. As far as I know, search engines don't actually do the car repair for you. If you figure out how to get them to, please let me know ASAP.). Then I went to Amazon and bought a bunch of parts. Then I went to Autozone and Wal-Mart for more stuff.

All in all, I ended up changing the spark plugs, oil, transmission fluid, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, air filter, and accessories belt (the thing that powers the air conditioning, radio, electronics, fans, etc.). I also fixed a broken muffler strap, checked the freon level in the air conditioning, and later I'm going to flush and replace the radiator fluid.

Although I had to buy a few new tools, I probably spent less than $100 on actual parts for the car. I'd guess that the same services a shop would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-1000. So all in all, I spent (much) less than I would have at a shop, and I get to keep the tools. I love the internet.

Just as long as I did everything right that is. The day the transmission falls out of the car, I'll probably be singing (screaming) a different tune.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!! In my humble opinion, you under-estimated what a shop would have charged you. Or what they would have charged me, at least. I would say more like $2000-$2500.

Randy et Jan said...

Now with all the money you saved, I'd say a shopping excursion for the wife is in order!!!! Hurray for "grease monkeys!"

Anonymous said...

Wow Max! I am impressed! You certainly have a lot of go-get-em! Mom