Sunday, May 15, 2011

isn't that 'convenient'

I bought new handles for the drawers. Worst decision so far with the kitchen. The old handles were an oddly narrow width, so I knew from the outset that I was going to have fill the original holes. I used a 'convenient' pre-mixed spackling compound made especially for filling holes in things like wood. It even came in a 'convenient' tube. About a week ago, I used it to fill the holes, beginning my descent into the abyss of 'convenience.'

Today I drilled the new holes. After I finished, I noticed that the holes on the right side of each drawer had slightly merged with the old holes because the spackle wasn't nearly as hard as the original wood. The drill bit got sucked right into the 'convenient' spackle and eviscerated it because it was so weak. The holes on the left side weren't affected because they were far from the original holes (like I said, the originals were a weird diameter). Maybe the 'convenient' pre-mixed spackle from a tube wasn't as convenient as I thought. Oh well.

I got to work putting on the handles. "Wait, why does this look like it's going to be crooked? Oh, that's because the holes on this drawer are crooked. Wait, they're crooked on ALL the drawers!?!?!" "Oh, but didn't you want crooked handles on all your drawers?" "Well, no, 'convenient' spackling compound, I didn't." Oh well.

It was then that I noticed that the screws that came with the new handles weren't long enough to go all the way through the super-thick faceplates on the drawers. Oh well, I went to work on both problems. I fixed the length problem by countersinking the holes (countersinking is a procedure in which you drill big holes partway through your piece of wood and on top of your little holes; this allows the heads of the screws to 'sink' partway into the wood in order to reach all the way through on the other side).

Unbeknownst to me, this extra drilling further compromised the 'convenient' spackling compound. And by further compromised, I mean that it destroyed it entirely and made it impossible to install these handles or any others. But I didn't notice this, of course, until after I had drilled giant new holes into all 8 drawers. I drilled them in an assembly line fashion for 'convenience,' but the destruction only became apparent when I went to re-install the first handle. Oh well.

Tomorrow I'm going to use the last of the 'convenient' spackling compound to fill the millions of holes I created in the drawers. Then I'll sand, prime, and repaint all of the newly-filled holes. Then I'll install knobs. Then I'll wish that the inventor of 'convenient' spackling compound had never been born. The end.

6 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

My goodness. Not so convenient. However, I am sure this "holy" experience has made you a better person!! Ha!

Anonymous said...

So now we all realize why it takes the contractor so long to finish the project and why it cost so much more than the original estimate...

Anonymous said...

Apartment living anyone...

Anonymous said...

Wood Filler at your hardware store. Strong enough to drill holes in.

Anonymous said...

Who needs handles?
-Rebekah

Randy et Jan said...

We can't wait to see the fruit of your labor!