Sunday, July 11, 2010

what the frick

For the last few years, Sarah and I have adhered to a pretty stable sleeping schedule. We get up at the same time every day, and we go to bed at the same time every day. Precisely the same time. At first it was annoying. Now we really would never go back to the old way of doing things. Not long after we adopted the "schedule method", as I'm now calling it, we started having less trouble falling asleep, sleeping better at night, and feeling pretty well rested during the day.

Tonight I fell asleep in about 15 minutes. I was just starting to have a weird dream about something I can't really recall when we were awoken by a loud and aggressive banging on our bedroom window. Well, Sarah awoke to banging. I awoke to banging and Sarah hyperventilating while trying to wake up and scream about intruders at the same time.

I jumped out of bed and started swinging my arms wildly at shadows and kicking Barney awake and turning on all the lights in and outside house and assuring Sarah that it was nothing. Then I realized that it was just a local feral cat trying to get into our room from the outside. You know, incidentally, that you have a reputation for being nice people when the neighborhood pets resort to risking B & E charges just so they can live with you. Barney still hadn't woken up, and despite her screaming, I'm not entirely convinced Sarah had either, so I shut the lights off and tried to go back to sleep. I was, unfortunately, pretty amped up by that time, and also rested from my 'nap,' so a return to slumber was out of the question.

So I went out to the living room and ate some Cheetos and the rest of the 2 lbs of cherries we'd gotten earlier in the day. Long story short, I have stomach cramps, and it's 2:31 AM. I don't think there's a great chance that I'm going to feel rested when I wake up in a few hours. Then again, it's almost guaranteed that I'll sleep well tomorrow. How could I not? I'll be super tired, and my belly will super full from all the cat stew I'll have eaten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life sure gets in the way of our schedules doesn't it? I wish our midnight intruder WOULD wake us up--so your dad could off it!We have a raccoon that loves to uproot our front porch plants, I assume to look for grubs in the roots by the way he/she scatters dirt and plant parts around the pots. I'm sure it makes sense to the raccoon! Hope you get to feeling better soon! Mom

Anonymous said...

Note to son, place ball bat under bed for safe keeping...

Anonymous said...

I keep an AK-47 lying next to my ball bat.

Anonymous said...

Bummer. Hope you're all caught up on sleep by now! Randy keeps a bat under the bed. Always knock it over when mopping! Wish you could have been here to help us eat our cherries this year! Jan