Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sarah and I made it back safely from our trip. We had a really good time. I think it was just what both of us needed to recharge. Here is a brief summary of what we did. Click on any picture to enlarge.


Barney was much more interested in the sign than in the camera (above). Descent into the abyss (below).


Sarah and I on the path in the caverns (above). Some people I don't know who got in the way of my shot (below).



Sarah near the entrance to the "Big Room," which has the square footage of about 14 football fields but an uncreative name. Below, El Capitan (8,000+ feet) was sadly hidden by clouds in Texas's Guadalupe Mountains National Park on the way to El Paso.


Above, Doner Kebabs for lunch in Memorial Park in El Paso. Below, some of the brilliantly white gypsum sand, which doesn't look nearly so dazzling in the picture, in White Sands National Monument.



Sledding down the dunes in rented sleds was a popular activity.

Above, the dunes were less than impressive when we first entered the monument, but as we moved farther inward, the scrub brush that you see here gradually diminished into nothingness, and you could see only white sand in every direction.

I think Barney was ready to go home by the end of the trip. He knew he was getting behind on his cat biting schedule.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pictures. Looks like hot fun. We must plan on going there soon to look for your footprints and any signs of waterrrrrrr...

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I liked the picture of your shadows on the sand, and who knew you could go sledding in the sand?? As for the caverns, I hope never to go there :) I hate the center of the earth! It reminds me of space, which I also hate. Well, they are glorious from a distance I suppose. I can't imagine Barney biting a cat--he seemed so sweet when he was here! Love you, Mom

Rebekah said...

So coooooolll!! I'm so jealous--I love national parks and nature and stuff like that!! I didn't know you went sledding on the dunes. That would've been my favorite part. Man it look steep! How are you both able to smile so sweetly going down so fast? I think I would've been squealing and grimacing. Do you still have sand in uncomfortable places?

Anonymous said...

Incredible pictures!! Did Barney sled too? Jan

Max said...

As fun as the sledding may have looked, we were actually traveling at approximately half the speed of smell. The sand was pretty sticky. I guess I should have sprung for the sled wax they were selling for 75 cents in the gift shop.

hannah said...

Again, looks like you made a GREAT choice on a vacation spot!! The pictures are gorgeous and the sledding looks super fun. I also love that you brought Barney.