Friday, January 15, 2010

As it turns out, a student from good 'ole Calvin College was sitting right next to the Nigerian extremist who tried to blow up the plane in Detroit. You can read his whole interview with Chimes, the student newspaper, here.

There were two things I found particularly striking. The student, when he smelled smoke, moved the guy's blanket, sending out a plume of smoke, alerting other passengers to the danger, and perhaps interrupting a process that could have taken down the plane. The student also had this to say about the Nigerian, "He had extremist views and he wanted to kill us all, but he didn’t seem like that bad of a guy."

Hilarious quote on the hand, sobering truth on the other. Extremists are people too. Hatred and clouded clarity strike us all at different times. We would all vehemently argue that we would never blow up a plane full of people, but circumstances are surprisingly powerful. If you could save 1,000,000 people in New York City from a bombing by flipping a switch that caused a bomb-laden plane to divert harmlessly into the ocean but killing all 300 passengers aboard, you would probably think long and hard about the consequences of any action you might take.

The Nigerian probably thought he was helping people too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thoughts: I must say that of all the people I know who have murdered someone in the past, I find a lot to appreciate about them and have a great affection for them, in spite of their major major problems. I imagine God sends his rain and sunshine on the just and the unjust because He truly loves people and is so very forgiving. But, for heavens sake, people can surely be evil!!! A bomb in his underpants?! I pray no one ever puts a bomb up their behind or airport security protocol is going to get really ugly. Your dad is watching Star Trek right now, that's why I am typing so much. I HATE angry destructive space people and ugly scenery. Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend so far. Love, Mom

Randy et Jan said...

Your scenario sounds like a 24 plot! On another note, I know a murderer( and his victim no longer with us.) I still get very angry when I think of him, but it helps my emotional well being to pray for him. Which I'm supposed to be doing anyway. Jan

Anonymous said...

Last time I clicked on the story from Chimes it was unavailable so I just went back and read it--very interesting coming from the perspective of the student. In some countries this is every day stuff! Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, talk about fate. Sitting next to a terroist bomber willing to kill you and 300 people politely. All that tuition gone to waste. What a world...

Anonymous said...

Do you think he might have been polite as to NOT attract attention and NOT because he was a such sweethearted misguided innocent killer type idiot?