Tuesday, October 06, 2009


I've mentioned to a few people about how everyone down here in the Metroplex seems to be a little too concerned with power, authority, and the maintenance of established hierarchies. I'm sure you'll recall Sarah's interactions with the secretary formerly at her building.

Maybe it's a holdover from the traditions established during slavery, but from what I can tell, everyone down here has to submit to somebody else, and as a result, when somebody gets an opportunity to wield power over someone else, that opportunity is absolutely relished.

Among my new fellow students at my new school, I don't really fit very well into the established hierarchy, in which the "first years" don't know anything about anything and aren't really treated with all that much respect as a result. I'm not all that special, but I have already been a grad student for a while, and it turns out that I'm good at it. Although it surprised me a little at first that some of students with more seniority turned a little cold when they found this out, I think I get the picture.

A few weeks ago, my office mate, who is a fifth-year student who doesn't spend any time on campus, told me that I could take her desk and do "whatever" with the office. I told her I would do just that, and a few days later, I rearranged it to my liking.

Which brings me to the above picture of a baby hanging from the wall of my office. It was accompanied by a nasty note from said office mate that said something to the effect of, "How dare you touch my things."

Apparently, the baby is passed back and forth among the grad students as a joke, but I'm not sure if it's typically done as some sort of a warning. Oops.

6 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

NOT fair of her!! I say, punish her and you're sure to feel better!!! Jan

Anonymous said...

Careful,the kkk terrorist group might crawl from under a cow pile and make you an offer that you can't refuse.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture...as in--you are the picture of "concern"! (Now would be a good time to remember your previous post!) So what did you do to the room anyway? Hang a hoop up in the corner? Put pictures of Sarah everywhere? Put all your office mates things in the trash? I just know you will think of something appropriate to do with that doll...
Love you! Mom (I was going to call you tonight, but just finished my last note for work)

Hannah said...

ooo the baby is like a scary omen... wonder why she took back her choice to let you redecorate..? I hope you're enjoying yourself amongst some tension!

Anonymous said...

Kissing butt is sooooo distasteful, must be where grin and bear it came from...

Anonymous said...

Possibly you have researched the differences between the sexes in the area of aggression and competition at the workplace. I am finding that because our gender roles are so confused and intertwined that odd behavior is the norm. Women have not traditionally had so many leadership roles over men and both sexes are having difficulty dealing with this change in norms...