Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I played basketball at the rec center today with some guys who mostly spoke Spanish. Basketball is basketball, but I did notice something peculiar: the guys kept saying things to each other like, "tiene tu novio" and "ven a tu novio." I understood the phrases to mean, "have your boyfriend," and "see your boyfriend." I got the idea (i.e., guard your man, see your man), but I guess I never really understood how much of a Romance language Spanish actually is--even in basketball, there is abundant, unavoidable, systemic man love.

Also, here's my take on the orange scent experiment: the scent of oranges, or any food for that matter, signals something very important to our brains--namely, it signals that important resources are nearby and are probably accessible and abundant, and if our brains believe there is a safe supply of resources, then there's a lot less pressure to have to hoard other resources, such as money that belongs to someone else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OR..you had inadvertently stumbled upon the gay men's basketball games and they really WERE each other's boyfriends? Huh, huh?
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey, I commented on the orange blog about basketball and today you WROTE about basketball and the Romance languages. I know the language is derived from Latin and the Romans and I am a man that PLAYS basketball...could there be some sort of connection? Do I secretly crave boyfriends, gladitorial fights, basketball, and oranges...

Anonymous said...

P.S. I think the picture of the sliced orange was pretty...

Randy et Jan said...

I have found that Hispanic players are less selfish. Was that true for you? Jabron