Friday, October 30, 2009

Everyone in the department is really big on Halloween, and there's even a costume contest going on today. I figured I'd better participate, so I taped a piece of paper to my shirt with a bunch of obscure questions on it (e.g., Kenya is the world's largest exporter of what?; In 1773, the British Parliament passed what act that enraged American colonialists?; etc.). The answer to all the questions was "tea," making me a "tea test."

What's interesting here is that a t-test is a statistical procedure used in the social sciences to determine if the difference between two groups (e.g., people in a room that smells like oranges vs. people in a room that smells like nothing) on some dependent variable (e.g., amount of money kept) is likely to have occurred by chance alone. In other words, a t-test tells you if your experiment worked.

In other words, I am a nerd for Halloween.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let us all know if you one the contest. Yes, I spelled one that way intentionally for I too, am a nerd comedically...

Randy et Jan said...

Yes, you are a nerd. I expect to have baby nerds some day!

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny, but I still like the rodeo clown costume best (I think you were five)
Love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

That makes our Princess a "nerdette!" Jabron