Saturday, September 26, 2009

I was on the train the other day when a tallish man with a crumpled little hat and a paper bag in his hand sat down beside me.

Him: I'm not a bum.
Me: Me either.
Him: No really, I'm not a bum. But I did just get out of jail.

He showed me the contents of his bag, which included a used plastic razor, a mostly-empty package of medication, a worn bible, and mail, addressed to the jail and stamped with that day's date.

Him: I need $5 to get a bus ticket.
Me: I need $19,000 to pay for school, and doesn't the train ticket come with unlimited bus fare?
Him: I need a Greyhound ticket, and I'm not a bum.
Me: Oh.
Him: Well, can you help me or not?
Me: I'd be happy to talk to you for a while.
Him: I don't need a friend. I need money.
Me: I don't give money to people who aren't my friends.
Him: I think I know a verse about that. God told me you were going to bless me.

Then he showed me his 'broken' Mp3 player and asked me if I could fix it. I did and showed him how to use it. He encouraged me to look at his book, a set of four novellas on sale at Amazon.com for $12.95. I said I would. He showed me his gang tattoos and said he wrote the book after a prison term in California when he became a Christian and decided to give up the "gang life." I asked if prison was as bad as they make it out on TV. He said it was worse. I asked how Christianity was working out for him. He showed me his favorite verse (It's better to live on the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.) and called the recent jail term and separation from his wife "setbacks."

I looked up his book later. My favorite part is the description of, That’s What It Is, novella number three: "a young convict finds out an older convict is a cross-country pimp, so he’s out to pick his brain for the pimp game."

If I could make this stuff up, I'd probably be an author myself. At least I made a new friend.

4 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

Hey, I'm a little short. Am I your friend?? Jan

Anonymous said...

Sooooo...did you end up giving him some money (I hope not, it would have ruined all your witty comebacks and logic)....

Anonymous said...

lol! I'm sure you will meet many interesting people on the train. Apparently he hadn't gotten his royalty check yet??
mom

Anonymous said...

Fascinating! Will we be getting a certain set of novellas for Christmas this year?