Wednesday, September 02, 2009

I think I've mentioned to everyone in the world that I've been annoyed with my new department because they're making me re-take statistics, a class I've already advanced beyond in the typical course sequence. Imagine taking Spanish I and II, getting an A in each, and then being asked to take Spanish I again instead of Spanish III. Oh, and you have to pay $2700 to do it. Acceptable? No?

Their answer to my pleas has been something along the lines of "It doesn't matter what you say. It's department policy. But at least it should be easy for you!" Easy for me?!?!? That doesn't fit into my worldview. Why don't I go back to third grade. It won't be a waste of my time because it will be easy. See you in 17 years after I've repeated everything.

Anyway, I think I've figured out how I'm going to make the class worthwhile. Given that I believe I could teach it, and given that my professor is retiring at the end of the semester (after 40 years teaching the course), I'm going to borrow all his best methods and create my own stats course in case I ever need to teach one in the future.

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Why is this interesting to me?" Here's the thing: it isn't. Talk to you later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lemons into lemonade perhaps...you might also consider to fight against these injustices when you are once again a part of acadamia. These universities definately have their students over the proverbial barrel. What the heck does that mean anyway? We do nothing with barrels these days except when we get the super sized drinks at McDonalds-proving that some things like education and old sayings are hard to update...

Hannah D said...

Gotta love the man...

Anonymous said...

Now you know why they are called "institutions!"

Jabron

Randy et Jan said...

Glad your time won't be totally wasted! I feel your pain!!! Jan

Anonymous said...

Oh how the sarcasm drippeth...and with good reason! Here's another old saying that fits..heavens to Betsy.
Mom