Monday, August 31, 2009

In three weeks, I'm giving a presentation in one of my classes about the current state of research about self control. I didn't get to choose the topic, but it's of mild interest to me.

The point: there's a whole bunch of evidence to show that when we exercise self control, it depletes some sort of self-control reservoir, making it less likely that we'll able to control ourselves when another temptation presents itself in close proximity (in time or space) to the first.

Imagine you're on a diet. At work. You've got some down time, and you can either slack off and check your personal email, or you can finish the report that's due not due for three more days. You choose to do the report. Later that day, there's a birthday party. Your self-control reservoir is depleted because of your positive choice to finish your report, and you have two pieces of chocolate cake and screw up your diet. Nice work.

Conclusion: fat people must be getting a lot done, and I don't think anyone's giving them any credit for it. I'm off to find some cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaaa, baby! Peanut MMs, jelly beans, doritos, fun yums, ding dongs, gummy worms, hard candy, soft candy, cookies, donuts, staying up late, skipping work, sleeping late, coffee, choc. milk, pizza, whole milk, peanut butter cookies, no bake cookies, pie, cake, milk duds, malts, pop, videos, sports...HELP ME...am I losing control?!

Anonymous said...

Yes! That explains why I want to eat a lot when I get home from work--all that darn self-control I have to use all day!
How is your hand, by the way?
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

That makes me really lazy then!

Jabron.