Friday, September 11, 2009

I can't believe I haven't posted in over a week. I've been busy trying to get work done and impress the people who decided whether or not I'll get funding next year. Things in that regard are going well enough, but I'm not sure what factors will actually influence any decisions that will be made.

In other news, we have fire ants in the back yard. I know because they attacked me two nights ago when I was taking the dog out so he wouldn't pee in the house. My first mistake was going outside without shoes. My second mistake was standing on top of a rock that the fire ants had (unbeknownst to me) built their little kingdom under. As I shifted back and forth on the stone, waiting for the dog to finish his business, I think I upset them.

At first, I thought I was getting bit by a spider (we have lots of spiders in the grass too, those I had seen before) because it felt like I was being electrically shocked in my foot. By the time I had reached down to swat the 'spider,' I'd already been 'shocked' about 10 more times, and I really hoped I wasn't getting attacked by some sort of a flock of spiders. So, like any man would do, I grabbed my tiny dog and ran into the house like a little girl.

The angry terrorists were still biting and stinging (they do both) me well after I came inside, but they were so small (and flat, after I squashed them) that I couldn't be sure what they were. A trip to the rock and a little cautious excavation the next day confirmed my suspicion that they were fire ants.

If they think it was upsetting that I was standing on their rock, I wonder how they'll like it when I pour a bucket of boiling water on their nest?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boiling water won't get them. They will just move.You can use gasoline, but that will kill the grass. Stay after them until you chase them into your neighbors yard.

Anonymous said...

Get amdro fire ant bait and follow the instructions, it works.

Randy et Jan said...

Boiling hot oil! Hey, it worked in the Middle Ages! And aren't you glad they weren't bees! By the way, I resent that girly remark! Jan

Anonymous said...

The spiders alone are enough to keep my shoes firmly on! Wonder if cooking oil, cayenne pepper and garlic in the boiling water would help to relocate them? Works for some other pests...but fire ants are a breed unto themselves. Good luck!
Love, mom

Anonymous said...

I say you show rent the movie, Ants, watch and study it closely, and then decide your course of action...

Anonymous said...

There is a product called after bite sticks.They are used to keep ant bites from getting infected , also to reduce the pain.Walgreen carries them here.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Sounds like a good plot for a horror movie. Jabron