Monday, September 14, 2009

After some poking around outside, I found that there are far more ants than I initially thought. After going to Lowe's to buy supplies for the ant fight, I've come to believe that there are far more ants in the South than I initially thought--because there are a LOT of anti-ant products out there. In any case, the fight is on hold for now, because it's been raining for three days, and I think the ants are hiding from me. Or from the 6 inches of rain we've gotten. But I suspect it's from me because I said some stern words to them before heading to the store.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my buying habits. As most of you know, I'm generally a frugal person, not a tightwad, but almost. In deciding whether or not to buy a product, I typically consider three factors: (a) the price, (b) the value/quality of the product, and (c) my own personal need of the product. In other words, I only buy things that are cheap, or offer good value for the price, and I usually only buy things that I need (relatively speaking).

But recently, a philosophical shift in my thinking has led me to consider another factor: (d) the business practices of the company who sells the product. Yesterday Sarah and I decided to go out to eat after church. We could have gone to McDonald's and spent $3.17 (one dollar menu sandwich each, plus one dollar fry to split), but instead, we decided to go to Whataburger, a slightly smaller company (only in 10 states) that happens to give health and retirement benefits to ALL its employees (that's right, health insurance for flipping burgers). We spent $5.37 for the same meal we could have gotten at McDonald's for 40% less money, but at the same time, we used our 'wallet' to encourage the free market to compensate ALL workers well.

I'm not saying everyone should do shop this way. Some people just don't have enough money to spend 40% extra everywhere they go. But let me tell you this, at Whataburger, we were greeted with a friendly hello upon entering, stunned by the liveliness and conversation of the employees while dining, and sent off with a friendly goodbye and "come again" when we left. As it turns out, well-compensated employees make good workers.

Places I have been shopping more lately: Costco, Lowe's, Whataburger. These companies offer employees medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as retirement options, sick leave, and other benefits that similar companies do not always provide.

"If money talks, I want to make sure mine is saying good things about me." ~ Me

Did he just quote himself? That's perverse. This is a paid advertisement, isn't it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having had a bad experience with ants, I can offer this advice.Never allow them to get into your under clothes. You will get them off regardless of consequences and it won't matter who may be looking. By the way, they will move if you touch the nest.

Randy et Jan said...

I don't worry about MY money talking. Should I be worried about you?? Jan

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Jabron

Anonymous said...

You're funny! (smiling mother) And smart (still smiling) and handsome (also still smiling) not to mention just (nods head to no one but self). Your dad just came downstairs and said it's lonely in here--we miss you and Sarah!

Hannah D said...

Yes, Texas has an ant problem. The fire ants attack Randi frequently in Dallas.

Also good job on your thoughtful spending. It seems better at the time to save a couple bucks but you're making a really big difference in the end.

Anonymous said...

Once again, I suggest you get a column in the local paper, wait, local papers are becoming obsolete. Have you considered writing a blog, wait, this is a blog. Let me backtrack, I like your thinking keep spreading it around...