Friday, August 21, 2009

The good news is that the train has free WiFi. The bad news is that my commute between home and school will vary between 2 and 3 hours each way. You heard me right--each way.

The actual ride time isn't too bad on the way to school. Total time door to door is about 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I can spend the majority of the reading and working. Coming home takes a little longer, somewhere between 2 and 3 hours depending on the bus and train schedule, because I have to take an extra bus to get home (Sarah drops me off at the train station in the morning but can't pick me up in the evening). Still, I can spend the majority of my time working, so it's not as bad as it might seem because I'm going to be working anyway.

Worst case scenario, we buy a second car (it's a 50-60 minute drive) and spend the estimated $6,000 a year it costs to maintain and use a car. Best case scenario, I do most of my work on public transit and tell people that I'm getting my PhD by riding the bus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hitchhike? Then you can analyze the people who pick you up and do a thesis on them. Or not. Jan

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you won't develop that dreaded condition known in the inner city as "bus-butt".
Moom

Anonymous said...

How does this all work with your wife's schedule? Will you ever see each other? How much will the train and bus cost compared to the 6 grand...