Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm not a big fan of our mail carrier. In order to get him to pick up outgoing mail, I have to leave it sticking out of the mailbox so he can see it, otherwise he refuses to check the box to see if there's any mail inside. Yesterday, I was trying to mail two things: a Netflix movie, and a birthday card. Like usual, I bent the bright red Netflix envelope over the edge of our vertical mailbox and closed the lid down on top of it so a bunch of red peeked out of the outside. He seldom misses it when I do that. I also put the birthday card inside the box, knowing that he should see it when he opened the box to take out the other envelope.

When I got home yesterday, the mailbox was stuffed with junkmail and a small package. As I was taking everything out, I noticed that, not only had he missed the card, but he had completely smashed it when he crammed everything else into the box. And since today is Veteran's Day and there's no mail service, there's little chance the card will make it on time. Great. Thanks mailman.

Not everyone should pass the Civil Service Exam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I can't feel too sympathetic since here, letters sent out are NEVER picked up by the mailman! We actually have to find a box, or take it to the P.O. Just be very glad this mailman is not a student in your class!!!! Jan

Anonymous said...

OK, now that you know Otto (I picture him as an Otto-type; ie the bus driver on the Simpson's)your mail person is incompetent/lazy/civil service worker you need to drop your mail off at a box and/or report him to the Attorney general postmaster guy...