Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I was prepping a class for a quiz yesterday, and I was just about to pass it out when I was interrupted in the middle of, "So if there are no more questions..."

Student: I wasn't here last week, what should I do?
Me: (dumbfounded silence)
Student: (dumbfounded silence)
Me: Well, you have two options: (a) take the quiz, or (b) don't take the quiz. Best case scenario, you get 100%. Worst case scenario you get 0%. If you don't take the quiz, you automatically get a zero, so taking the quiz would probably be helpful.
Student: (thinking about what to do)
Me: (dumbfounded silence)
Student: I guess I'll take the quiz.

Not everyone should go to college.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here at the high school I make my students take the quiz or test after an absence with the option of retaking if they do poorly (as long as it is an excused absence). Apparently, your student was hoping you taught at the high school level...

Anonymous said...

Amen. Jabron

Anonymous said...

I wonder what answer the student expected from you?
"Oh, you weren't here last week. I'm sure the reason you missed was very important so have a free A on your quiz!!"