Sunday, October 05, 2008

Bruce Springsteen is coming to town for an Obama rally, and students, faculty, and staff at my university are eligible for free tickets. The students don't seem very excited about it, but the *ahem* 'mature' ladies I work with at the counseling center are ridiculously giddy. On Thursday, a bunch of people left in the middle of work to go down to the box office to pick up their free tickets. I'm not going to the concert, but someone asked if I would come down as well--so she could have my ticket. We were waiting for the ticket window to open when I observed the following interaction between a 30-ish female cowoker and a young male student who happened to be walking through.

Student: What's with this line?
Coworker: The Boss is coming!
Student: The who?
Coworker: (Incredulous look) The Boss. Bruce Springsteen. He's giving a concert!
Student: Bruce who?
Coworker: (Dejected look) Springsteen. Bruce Springsteen.
Student: Oh! Is he that old guy who plays acoustic guitar?

Everyone gets old sometime. Today just happened to be her day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no sympathy. I've told people I've talked to Roy Rodgers and Dale Evans and they have no clue. It happens! Jan

Anonymous said...

The "old guys" are the ones making the big bucks! Jabron.

Anonymous said...

Ouch, on an athletic issue, I am interested if you are going to watch (on YOUR campus) the Detroit Shock win their "world" title. Now that would be "boss" to "boast" about...P.S. I could take any of them one-on-one...