Sunday, October 19, 2008

I taught about the introductory principles of behavioral psychology in my classes last week. The beginnings of the topic are pretty simple: 1) figure out what is rewarding to your subject, 2) reward the behaviors that you want to increase, 3) ignore the behaviors that you want to decrease. During the lecture, I had the following exchange with a student:

Student: I noticed that you always say "Good question!" whenever anyone asks a question in class. Are you doing this stuff to us, and like, messing with us?
Me: (rewarding the act of posing a question) Good question!
Class: (laughs)
Me: (ignoring the implication that I'm manipulating students, which I am) No, but that is a good question. What do you think?
Student: I don't know. You just seem to always be really nice about questions.
Me: (It's working! It's working!) That's true. I try to encourage participation and questions.
Student: Oh ok. I get it.
Me: Anyway, that was a good question. Does anyone else have any questions?
Class: (hands go up)

Skinner lives.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

B.F. never fails.

Anonymous said...

That is a precious story! Jabron.

Anonymous said...

I have a question.......Jan

Anonymous said...

This is how your parents "made" you into a nice little boy...

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh!
Did anyone ever mention your skill at writing dialogue? I just did.
:) Mom