Tuesday, September 09, 2008

You may recall that behaviorism is a movement that emphasizes the reinforcement of desired behaviors. In the classroom, this translates to (a) rewarding students who participate in class and punishing those who do not, and (b) giving assessments often, which is intended to reinforce those who choose to do the out-of-class work and punish those who do not. The idea is to encourage students to participate actively in class and at home. My classes this semester are taught by behaviorists. Here are some observations.

1. I am a graduate student
2. I already know how to learn
3. I am good at learning
4. My learning style does not fit in your box
5. Clarence Thomas hasn't spoken in open court in 31 months: I'm pretty sure I shouldn't lose points if I don't ask a question or make a comment in every class
6. I don't pay $450 a credit hour to listen to my classmates talk about their personal lives and ask irrelevant questions; I pay for you to tell me what I need to know

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding point #6, maybe later on YOU can recuperate your credit hour expenses by charging $450/hr. as a therapist! Jabron

Anonymous said...

Hey, did you know your parents got their degree in...BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY. Your aversion to said method must come from your early childhood REINFORCEMENT AND PUNISHMENT by said parents...

Anonymous said...

Clarence Thomas is in your class??!! Jan

Anonymous said...

Do you know why a clock runs clockwise? Love, G