Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yesterday, I was teaching a class in a computer room in the library. The assignment was for the students to use PsychInfo, a database of scientifically-oriented articles related to psychology, to find two scientific articles that were related to both psychology and some interest of theirs (e.g., about sports psychology, motivation, emotion, whatever). When everyone was working on this, a student called me over to her computer and said, "I'm not finding the kind of articles I want." I looked at her search terms. They were "sexuality," "sexual attractiveness," and "sex." As her results showed 817 scientific articles, I wondered two things: (a) what was it, exactly, that she was hoping to find, and (b) whether she would be smart enough to finish this particular search in a dark room at home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

duh...

Anonymous said...

um...perhaps she was making a move on her teacher...tell her "stand aside, creep!"
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Makes me wonder if you are teaching seventh graders instead of college students.