Tuesday, July 08, 2008

You're in a supermarket. People are milling about. Someone you don't know sidles up to you and exclaims, "Hi. I'm So And So. Would you like to be my new friend and come to my house for an intimate dinner with my closest friends?"

Explanation: you may have just met a serial killer looking for victims.

(Alternative explanation: you may just met my extroverted father-in-law.)

You're in a place of worship. People are milling about. Someone you don't know sidles up to you and exclaims, "Hi. I'm So And So. Would you like to be my new friend and come to my house for an intimate dinner with my closest friends?"

Explanation: you may have just met a Christian looking for fellowship.

(Alternative explanation: you may just met (a) the serial killer, or (b) the father-in-law.)

Speaking as an introverted Christian, I'd like to know why this has become common practice among us. Let's slow the fellowship process down a tad. It'll take a while for me to get comfortable enough to start rifling through your fridge, using your toothbrush, and wearing your underwear. But give it time. I'll get there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, okay. I'll tone it down (except on the parquet)!

Jabron

Anonymous said...

1) maybe people think you might have important things to say (!)
2)maybe they noticed the cat hair on your shirt and are hoping against hope you will babysit their seven cats while they are on vacation (!)
3) maybe their hearts are filled with love for strangers and God has given them a gift to provide hospitality and they don't mind being radical about it (!)
My fear is that they are socially awkward, life sucking folks looking for a co-dependent (!)
Totally unlike your father in law who is an awesome person (!)

Anonymous said...

You are there with me, I hope. I would be elated to have you eating from my fridge, wearing my pajamas, and brushing your teeth with the new toothbrush I always keep for guests. Love you, gm

Max said...

I didn't say pajamas...