Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tonight, Sarah and I went and saw the new Chronicles of Narnia movie (Prince Caspian). In general, I'm not a fan of fantasy (see, The Lord of the Rings, etc.), but The Chronicles of Narnia (by C.S. Lewis) are some of my absolute favorite books. Now, I'm not normally the type of person who bashes the cinematic adaptations of literature (if you can tell me the story in 90 minutes and save me 6 hours of reading, more power to you ... ), but ... I'm slightly disappointed with the producers, screenwriters, and directors of this movie.

I'm sure all those people worked really hard on the film, and they certainly succeeded in making an action-packed, family-friendly, blockbuster-sequel-type movie. Unfortunately, they steamrolled Lewis's literary creation. They added 30 minutes of unnecessary action and deleted what probably amounted to 150 pages (out of 200) of Lewis's intricately crafted plot and character development, taking characters in strange directions (e.g., adding conflict and romantic interests where there were none) in the process.

It was clear to me that this departure happened for two reasons. First, Disney (the production company) wanted to appeal to as large an audience as possible so that they could make as much money as possible (hence the extra action and additions of conflict and romance). Second, and more sadly, they had ZERO recognition of the complex theological tensions weaved subtly under the story's surface. (In their defense, I think they understood and referenced the major theological themes, but their changes to plot and characters really shortchanged some important topics.)

Prince Caspian isn't just a tale about a magical world where good triumphs over evil, a lion is king, and some kids kick butt, learn lessons, and fall in love. Prince Caspian is a story about the ultimate failings of reliance on self, about God's command (not ours) over all creation, about the universal human response to the temporary absence of a visible God, about the wrenching struggle between faith and doubt.

I would imagine that 98% of the people who watch the movie won't notice its departation from the book (or will think the changes are positive), and I would guess that many people, both Christians and non, will say that this is a good/great movie. And it was enjoyable to watch, but in the filmmakers' zest to make a maximally-profitable, widely-appealing blockbuster, I think they lost sight of Lewis's larger vision.

I'd guess Lewis himself would be a little saddened by this. I know I am.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! What you said. 100%. Thought it was just me. Well said young man. Well said. Get thee to Disney before they make a mash of the next one!
Yes, I'm your mom, but whatever

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, by jove, bully and other English phrases; you have hit it on the head smashingly. C.S. Lewis would have said...duhhhhhhh and smacked his noggin'

Sandi said...

I was disappointed as well.

Anonymous said...

I was so bored.