Saturday, April 05, 2008

Yesterday, I was surprised to receive an out-of-the-blue job offer from the Psychology department at the unnamed university where I attend. It's a short-term, contract position to teach a course this summer. It's actually the same course that I've been teaching all year, but because they don't offer assistantships during the summer, the job title is Adjunct Lecturer. While it doesn't sound auspicious, it does mean that I'll technically be a faculty member at a large university. Technically.

I like this for 2 reasons: first, it's going to look great on my resume; second, I'll be paid $1600 for about 32 hours of work, which comes to $50 per hour, a significantly higher rate than the $11.15 per hour that I made at my last job.

The only catch is that the class has reach enrollment capacity (20), or else it will be cancelled. We'll see how it turns out...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!! We'll pray that 20 or more sign up! That would be sooo terrific! I wonder if those 32 hours are actual teaching hours or include as well all the prep? Jan

Anonymous said...

Congrats! For a son-in-law as talented as you are, it would be normal to be offered the job and get at least 20 enrolled!

Proud as punch, Jabron.

Anonymous said...

Work during summer vacation? Are you nuts?

Just kidding. I'm proud of you and I hope it works out. Chi-Ching! (that's a cash sound effect)

Anonymous said...

that's great news!!! yay for max...and money!

Anonymous said...

Vunderfal...