Thursday, December 06, 2007

Today I got back the course evaluations filled out by my (60 or so) students, and I thought I'd distill most of the good comments into one sentence.

As it turns out, I am, overwhelmingly, a funny, helpful, easy to talk to, fun, good speaking, interesting, caring, approachable, friendly, really fun, very enthusiastic, not boring, passionate, laidback (sic), knowledgeable, very helpful funny, nice, cool, fun, humorous, and funny instructor. Also, one student thinks that I "look like Hercules."

There were a few exceptions.

From the evaluations:
What constructive suggestions do you have for this instructor and course?

"Be more enthusiastic and maybe less judgemental (sic)." (where did that come from???)
"Just don't like psychology. He does everything fine."
"Make it more interesting." (ouch)
"Great instructor, bad course." (I'm not sure if that was my fault or not)

What did you dislike most about this instructor and course?

"He was extremely timely." (so sorry)
"Having to go to it." (thanks)
"Didn't dislike him. Dislike psychology."
"His hair." (Ouch!)
Some people say that we inevitably ignore the good comments and focus entirely on the bad. In my all-consuming narcissism, I only heard the good, and these evaluations made me feel great. My favorite comment was probably this one:
What did you like most about this instructor and course?

"Good teacher, enthusiasm, interesting to hear speak. Shame I won't be able to take another class with him."
If someone doesn't let me into a PhD program, I'm not going to get to do this for a living. Don't cheat the kids out of that. Just don't.

9 comments:

Randy et Jan said...

Those good comments are some of the reasons why Sarah and her parents love you! The "bad" comments are what make you distinctively "Max!"

Every year you will get better. Keep up the good work. We are proud of you. Very proud.

Impartially, Jabron & wife.

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of great teachers like Jesus and Gandhi that they killed and a great parent that His children disobeyed (God) and great artists that society ignored or couldn't understand (Van Gough) and I take accolades or critisms in stride...

Anonymous said...

I am very pleased you had a good experience and carried on the family tradition of many students enjoying the teacher, but not so thrilled with the subject...

Anonymous said...

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten...

Anonymous said...

Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch...

Anonymous said...

Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body. Now all has been heard: here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Anonymous said...

Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding for she is more profitable that silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you disire can compare with her.

Anonymous said...

Hercules???
YES--from the caroon!! I see it...and they always called your dad popeye!

Anonymous said...

hahhaa

The "looks like Hercules" comment was HILARIOUS!
Also the one that said they didn't like your hair...uncalled for but really funny they put that on an evaluation.

one more thing. Calvin is looking for a social work teacher. you should teach that.