Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I am not a republican or a democrat. Ultimately, I vote for the politician who I believe will do the least harm.

As I understand the interaction between Christianity and politics, most Evangelical and Fundamentalist Christians vote republican. And, in my (apparently) limited understanding, most of these Christians vote this way because they view republicans as 'pro family' (i.e., anti-abortion, anti-homosexual rights).

Today, Pat Robertson, a major influence in the Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christian community, announced that Rudy Giuliani was his pick for the next president of the United States.

Interesting.

Last time I checked, Giuliani is the only twice-divorced, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual rights, 'pro-family' republican candidate. I'm not here to make an judgments about Giuliani's life, views, or canidacy. I am here to make judgments about Pat Robertson's hypocrisy.

If you're going to be a major religious leader, a person in whom others place their trust and look to for guidance, you must pick your story and stick to it. Claim to place importance on family? Then how about you make choices that don't make you look like an hypocritical idiot to non-Christians. Want to vote republican because someone is your friend or because you like their fiscal policy (so that you can stay rich) even though they represent somewhat of an antithesis of your purported views? Then go ahead and explain what you're doing outright.

Like I said, I don't give a rip one way or the other about Giuliani's views: you can be anti-family (whatever that means) and still do enormous good for a lot of hurting people. I do give a rip about those who have been appointed as representatives of my faith to the unbelieving world.

I move to recall Pat Robertson's seat as witness to the world of what Christians are like. Second the motion. All in favor? The ayes have it.

Done and done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Politics make strange bedfellows...

Anonymous said...

I believe he would say something about the lesser evil...

Anonymous said...

OUCh...don't let Dave read this.

Anonymous said...

Start your column in the school paper and let the world know...

Anonymous said...

I too am confused about Pat's pattern of puzzeling phases. As the Bible says, those in leadership will be judged more closely. May there be a Method to his maddness of which we do not understand...

Anonymous said...

Give on to Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's...

Anonymous said...

good post max. what a brother. way to not stake a claim to either party.