Wednesday, November 15, 2006


Another late night tonight; another big paper due (Friday). But instead of working on the paper, I've spent most of my time trying to figure out what classes to take next semester. Unfortunately, I haven't really come up with a combination I find appealing; the trouble is that I'm having difficulty seeing how the courses offered will apply to my life and/or career. I would imagine they will, but I've been pretty bored (and busy, paradoxically) this semester and would like to ensure that next semester is a bit different. At $4300 a semester, I don't think it's okay to be bored; I might as well take interesting classes for $20 a unit at the local community college.

In any case, I've found that theology and biblical studies are truly academic disciplines. Biblical studies is the field that examines the Bible as an ancient document and piece of literature. Optimally, theology would be the life-application of the truths in that literature; unfortunately, it seems to be riddled with speculation about questions that literature never attempted to answer. Ultimately, both fields do not speak directly to the simple truths about Christianity and the Bible. In an attempt to simply state the tenets of the faith, C.S. Lewis wrote "Mere Christianity". Here's my version, in even simpler form than Clive's.

The Bible attests to three things:

1) Throughout history, God has sought to engage humanity in a relationship.
2) The climax of God's efforts occurred in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
3) As humans, God hopes that we will respond by a) loving God, and b) loving others.

I've found that our faith is not a discipline that requires a doctorate to better understand. Yes, the Bible as a piece of literature requires a doctorate to better understand. Yes, the finer points of theological discourse require a doctorate to better understand. But our faith is simple. Faith is about living in response God's love and action in our lives. Difficult, at times, but still simple: we must live in response to God's love. Now I just have to go and find another career, because I don't like literature.

But first I have to write an exegesis about Matthew 18:1-4, summarizing the historical context and cognitive schemata that were likely in place in the first century population.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your summary of Christianity. Too bad God doesn't just tell you what classes to take, but good luck brother, I'm sure something is better than nothing.