Saturday, September 02, 2006

for me

Have you ever found a working, 50-inch, Hitachi Ultravision big-screen TV with a free sign attached to it? Before today, I hadn't either. Before today. I'll bet you didn't think I was going there, did you? As it turns out, today is neither my nor Sarah's birthday, and it definitely isn't Christmas, but God has given us a present. A used present, a present with some flaws, but an awesome present none-the-less.

Sarah worked at school today for 13 hours (doing lots of work prepping her classroom); in spite of that, she was planning on stopping at the grocery store on the way home (she had the car). Naturally, I told her I'd walk to the store so she wouldn't have to add more time to her day (aren't I nice). On the way home, 16-pound watermelon and half-gallon of sherbert in tow (see what happens when she sends me to the store...). I saw some people (who'd previously been packing a moving truck), pull out of the complext; near where they'd previously parked their truck, I saw a big TV just sitting in the hallway. My curiosity got the better of me (here in apartment world, people are always setting stuff out that they don't want), and I went to investigate. It was a nice looking unit, albeit a little dirty, with wooden cabinetry built around the sides and a speaker system built into the stand. And it was big. And it had a post-it note: "Sometimes needs to be shaken. Free. Take it."

Wouldn't I love to take it, I thought, but how the heck am I supposed to get it to our new second floor apartment that is at least 300 yards away. In the past, I might have tried to carry it by myself, but the thought of it made my back twinge, so I kept right on going. After I got the sherbet in the freezer, I was still thinking about the TV. I decided I'd just go and see if there's any way I could figure out how to take it. And I prayed (frivilous, I know, but my TV is covered in mold, you'll recall) that if there was any way to get it to our apartment, God would show me and help me do it. My mind was reeling with possibilities: knock on random doors until somebody takes pity on me and helps me carry it; offer that guy I just saw $20 to help me; strap it to my back, etc., etc.

I made my way back to the TV and was surprised it was still there (1000 people, all in their 20's, live here; it's really first come, first served). I made another inspection, thinking, wouldn't it be great if this had wheels; I pushed it. It rolled. Too bad, I thought, better luck next tim...wait, it rolled!!! Five mintues, and one short elevator trip later, we had ourselves a new TV. Granted, there's no remote (I'll buy one), and the screen has a few scratches and a slight contrast issue (I'll ignore them), but IT'S LIKE THERE'S A MOVIE THEATER IN MY HOUSE. Call me a garbage picker if you want, but I'm happy about our present.

Note the size of the TV compared to the chair. Also note that our old TV could have sat comfortably on said chair.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay for us!!

Hannah said...

OH MY GOSH! You and Sarah have to be the oddestly luckiest couple in THE WORLD! And seriously wheels on a TV?!