Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I might buy a safe

Yesterday I played basketball during lunch, as I usually do on Mondays. I ended up on a really good team, and we won a bunch of games in a row. One of the guys I was playing with was new. He was a really good athlete but not really a basketball player in the traditional sense. After the game we ran into each other in the locker room and started talking. It turned out he was a former football player (wide receiver) at my school, and he was back now to work as a staff member and to finish his degree. After some more talking, it turned out that he left just a few credits shy of his degree because he got drafted into the NFL by the Minnesota Vikings. He bounced around the league a bit and had to come back from injury a few times. He finished his career with the New England Patriots. As I was leaving, he said, "Hey, since you're a sports fan, I'm going to show you something."

He reaches into his gym bag, pulls out a Superbowl ring, and hands it to me! (I think he'd been wearing it and took it off to play basketball). It turned out that he was with the Pats in 2005, when they won the Superbowl in 2005. It was, far and away, the most impressive piece of jewelry I've ever seen. In size, it seemed like it was almost as big as a tennis ball. Heaviest ring I have ever held. White gold (or maybe platinum) encrusted with diamonds, rubies, and sapphires (the Patriots colors are red, white, and blue). The centerpiece was three giant diamonds shaped like footballs. Totally amazing. I looked it up later: It's worth about as much as my house.

Anyway, he was a really nice guy, and that was probably the most unexpected encounter I have ever had in my life. But if I were him, I don't think I'd keep that thing in my gym bag...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go figure. He had his house in his gym bag. What was he thinking. I don't even get it. Why risk losing something that precious. Must not be that important to him or he has little sense of monetary/bragging issues. Maybe you should check his locker number the next time he plays ball and the address of a local pawn shop. Other than all that it must have been a fun experience for HIM to have met somebody as interesting and impressive as YOU...

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool! Glad he didn't happen to come down on your face under the boards! And nice he took that ring off--he could kill someone with that thing :) Mom (Missed your call on Sunday! I was in the garden/kitchen freezing apples and herbs!)

Anonymous said...

yOUR mOM is so COOL...