Sunday, June 12, 2011

fun with stats

All of the statistics I use as a researcher boil down to a simple equation.

outcome = model + error

Researchers come up with theories that try to explain the world (the model), but these models are always imperfect (the error). We use statistics to determine how accurately our models explain the way the world works (outcome).

Most of the statistical techniques used in psychology were invented by statisticians who are much smarter than I am. In some cases, they worked for years to make equations that would be simple enough for regular people to use. Today everything is really easy: There are computer programs that make the simple equations a snap to calculate. Instead of doing a TON of simple calculations by hand, you input your data into a program. With a few clicks of the mouse, the program tells you how accurate your model is.

The trouble, I'm told, is that to become a competent researcher, you need to understand the theory behind the complex equations. The best way to understand the theory? Hand calculations. Below are my 12 pages of calculations (each is front and back) from one assignment out of FIVE. It took me three days. The next two assignments will be much more intensive. I also did these calculations with the computer (also part of the assignment). That took less than a minute.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this is why I teach history...

Randy et Jan said...

It's all Greek (geek?) to me. Or as the French put it, it's all Chinese to me!

Anonymous said...

I had to have a tutor for intro to stats. :) You're doing great! Mom

Anonymous said...

All of the geniuses on TV do these calculations on the mirror or wall. I think you need some "idea paint". Check it out. It's a real product.

Matt