Monday, April 12, 2010

Here's a long story about our deep freezer that includes a brief lesson on my personal approach to approaching customer service representatives.

Hello again X (insert name here),
 
I am still an extremely dissatisfied customer. Below is a timeline of all the events of my horrendous purchase experience at (insert store name here). At the bottom, there is a short summary of all the events.

Timeline:

3/18/10: I ordered the freezer online, estimated arrival 3/19/10

3/19/10: No arrival; no notification

3/21/10: I called my local store to find the problem. It turns out that local personnel called the wrong house to schedule delivery. The person at the other house knew nothing of the delivery, and it was canceled. I was not notified. When I found the problem, I was told that I could not re-order online or over the phone, and that I could not receive the freezer for the price for which I initially purchased it (I had a coupon).

3/21/10: I emailed customer service with my problem.

3/23/10: I received a response from customer service requesting more information.

3/23/10: I supplied the information.

3/23/10: Customer service forwarded my information to my local store.
3/24/10: I received a call from the local store. I was able to re-order the freezer at the original purchase price. I scheduled delivery for 4/3/10.

3/29/10: I learned later that the local store attempted delivery on this day. I was not expecting delivery and was not home.

4/3/10: At this time, I was still expecting on this day. I waited all day. There was no delivery and no call.

4/6/10: I called the local store. I scheduled delivery for Saturday, 4/10/10. I asked for a discount on the freezer and was offered a 10% discount if I brought my credit card into the local store to have the discount applied.

4/8/10: I received a voice-mail message from the local store. They said my freezer was ready for pick-up.

4/8/10: I called the local store. I spoke with 2 representatives. The first transferred me without telling me. The second said that delivery had never been scheduled. I re-scheduled delivery for 4/10/10.

4/10/10: The freezer was delivered. The delivery personnel slammed the side of the freezer into the door frame on the way in. The door of the freezer had numerous dents (unrelated to the slamming). The delivery paperwork noted that the freezer was sold AS-IS. I did not purchase an AS-IS product.

Summary: I purchased a freezer online. I expected next-day delivery. It was delivered 22 days later. I had numerous problems and horrendous customer service. When the freezer finally arrived, delivery personnel slammed it into my door frame. It had numerous dents, and it was marked AS-IS on delivery paperwork.

If I am going to remain a satisfied (insert store here) customer, I would like three things. 1) A written apology from store management, 2) a free extended warranty on the freezer, and 3) a refund of 75% of the purchase price of the freezer.

Sincerely, (Your name below)
The conclusion to this saga is that they actually gave me what I requested with no more hassle. They didn't even try to negotiate, and they kept me as a customer. Win-win.

Note: I didn't actually expect them to give me what I wanted. I was hoping for 30% off. Aim high!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You know how to deal!

Anonymous said...

Aim high indeed!!! Incredible! I think all that hassle may have just been worth it. For you to say! Jan

Anonymous said...

Quite a saga! Glad you finally got your freezer and at a bargain price. Now to get that "side o' something" or else fill it full o' ice cream! Mom

hannah said...

good job brother, what a fiasco but at least you won in the end