Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Tuesdays are often my most productive day. It's the beginning of the week, so I still have energy and motivation left. I don't have class. I don't play basketball at noon like I do on Mondays and Fridays, and I only have one longstanding commitment, my office hours. But since my students never come to see me, the whole day is basically free to devote to actual work.

I made the mistake of going to check my department mailbox. In there, I found some papers to grade. No big deal, I thought, I can get this done in less than an hour. On the way back to my office, I ran into the professor for whom I am a TA. He asked me if I could come to his classes all day to "proctor" (babysit) the exams he was giving out in 15 minutes. And there went productivity.

The lesson? Never leave your office.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha--on my job, I have learned not to even set foot in the office if I have unscheduled time that I want to fill with productivity. I either work at home, in my car or some other little enclave. Nice that they let us do that! I'll bet watching kids take exams was not very fulfilling...Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Ohhh...I KNOW how much you dislike a deviation from your well planned schedule. This must have reminded you of days on the farm with old whats-his-face the jester of many unplanned activities all envolving dreadful mind numbing drudgery...