Sunday, November 08, 2009

I've recently become a firm believer in the idea that sale prices are worthless indicators of something's value. Yes, there are times when you can get discounts on products, but stores don't generally do things for the benefit of their customers. So, when something is marked down from $199.99 to $99.00, it's unlikely that you're actually getting something worth more than $100.00. That being said...

Yesterday Sarah and I went mattress shopping. We weren't intent on buying anything, but we do have two spare bedrooms that we eventually wanted to get beds for. Long story short, I used some negotiation techniques I've been studying. I walked around the store and made the salesman chase us every time he tried to show us something. I offered to buy two if the price was good. I offered to buy a manufacturer's sample. I allowed him to believe he offended me (which got me the manager's discount). I even asked for a better price flat out--and got it--and then asked for a better price flat out again--and got it. All told, we ended up with one high end mattress, one quality mattress, two sets of box springs, two frames, delivery, and setup. Total listed price: $2,000+. Price we paid: $780.

Yet as much as I worked the salesman, I couldn't help but wonder if somehow he was still working me. I'm sure he was.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he that guy in high school that always cheated if he could? Take the other kids lunch money and bully them. Well, here he is, the American business man. That's what goes through my mind when i have to deal with one of these critters. i believe i hear hows the water fish as i leave ??

Anonymous said...

LOL...well, now you are ready for company at any rate. Sounds as if you did get a good deal! Way to work it, Max!
Mom

Rebekah said...

UNbelievable. Too cool. Can I take you with me the next time I go shopping??? Also, will you try these tactics in other contexts, like, say, in a restaurant?
I once saw my one manager Lisa give 20% off to a customer because he was so nice and fun, and kept saying "rebekah, you're killing me!" (refering to the merchandise price tag) He also offered me a job in Louisville... He was a HS principal.

hannah said...

A good price to me is any number that I just can't pass up. I always feel like I can't ask for a cheaper price in a store. It seems like every time I do the salesman says oh I can't...i wish I could..something something my manager...