Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thursday morning, we made it to the Detroit airport without any hassle. After we found our gate, we were able to board a flight that left about an hour earlier than our original one, so we ended up in Philadelphia a bit earlier than we'd originally planned.

We ate overpriced hamburgers in the food court ($1.09! What is this, Russia?!) and then settled in at our new gate to wait for our flight to Frankfurt. A few minutes after we sat down, two guys about our age sat within earshot of us and chatted loudly about current events (their drug use, sexual conquests, etc.) as they listened to explicit music videos on their laptop.

Thanks for sharing guys!

At first, Sarah and I just rolled our eyes every once in a while, but the fellas seemed to get only louder and more explicit as they continued. So when one of them clicked his tongue at me, said "Hey Buddy," and thrust his laptop chord at me (presumably so I would plug it into the plug that just so happened to be on the wall by my head), I decided that I'd had enough. The conversation went something like this:

Me: (Smiling) First of all, I'm not a horse. Also, it would be great if you guys could tone it down just a little bit.

Fella A: (Flabbergasted) Are you serious?
Fella B: (Angry) No, he's serious?

Me: (Still smiling) No, I'm serious.

Fella B: You $%&$ &%Fella B: You $%&$ &%$&! I'll *$%^ your *(*& with my *&^% if you don't *!@#^ plug in the chord.
amp;! I'll *$%^ your *(*& with my *&^% if you don't *!@#^ plug in the chord.

Me: (No longer smiling)

Fella B: Fine! Give me the *&^&*&% chord, I'll plug it in. (Walks toward me, and reaches around my neck to plug in the chord).

Me: (Pushes his hand away).

Fella B: You *$% what the %%$# are you doing!!! (Reaches toward my neck several more times).

Me: (Pushes his hand away several more times). I'm in an airport, let's not escalate this any farther by punching this guy in the crotch.

Fella B: Security!!!!

Me: Wait, you're calling security? That's sounds great. Yes, let's get them over here.

Fella A: No! Let's just get move somewhere else.
Fella B: (Moving even closer to my face) You're lucky my friend is here, or I'd punch you right now.

Me: Not unless you've got a cannon in that gut you're sticking in my face. Get away from me.

Fella B: (Not moving) You ignorant &%%$%. I'll **&$ your *$#@#@!!!!
Fella A: Common, let's go!

Me: He's right, I would hurt you very badly with my fists because I know you aren't armed because this is an airport. Get away from me right now!
Fella B: (Walking away) I bet the only reason your girlfriend stays with you is because you beat her. Yeah, you probably beat her! You do don't you!

At this point, I decided that putting him in a time out would probably serve to extinguish his behavior most quickly, so Sarah and I stopped looking and refused to acknowledge them further. He yelled a little more across the concourse but quieted down within a few minutes.

About an hour later, Fella A came over an apologized, but I don't really think he meant it because about an hour after that, he moved 'discretely' to a position about 1o feet away from us while Fella B 'discretely' took his picture with us in the background.

I'm sure he's probably blogging about us right now. Small world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sticking up for one's rights can lead to unsavory incidences these days, since manners have gone down the toilet. Not everyone should fly... but everyone does! (We once had a man sit next to us in the airport who hauled out a penthouse magazine for all to see. Didn't have a clue that he might ought to feel embarrassed, or maybe go to the nearest bathroom stall.) I'll bet Sarah was beside herself! What a way to start your vacation...
Mom

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, the Father in me wishes he were in that airport to take to task those louts. The comedian in me thinks it would have been ironic if the barbarians had seats next to you all the way to Frankfort. The Christ follower in me is sure the Lord loves those boys enough that he will use your encounter to the good of all. Never weary of doing good...

Anonymous said...

Situation well handled!! You could have sucker punched him and had a lot more problems.

Anonymous said...

Airport thugs. If only Vito Corleone had been there to introduce those guys to the "family".

Anonymous said...

Writing requires reflection, a good vocabulary, and the ability to form a sentence. Something tells me these guys will not be writing about their experience.

Randy et Jan said...

Glad you got to us without a smooshed in face! Jan