Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I taught my first lab of the spring semester today. On the first day, I always go over the syllabus, a big part of which is the emphasis of the fact that I (a) do not require excuses of any kind for anything (e.g., a missed assignment, tardiness, etc.), and (b) would prefer not to hear excuses of any kind for anything. My big point is that in college, if you don't want to come, or can't come, it's really your life and not mine.

Immediately after a 'quiz' at the end of class where I check to make sure everyone now knows all the important parts of the syllabus, a student came up to my desk and said, "I know you're not really into excuses, but I was 30 minutes late today because I had a flat tire."

I think my eyes only bulged out a little.

In other news: tomorrow is a big day. I've got a phone interview with a certain Southern university.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

A phone interview? Good luck! You will nail it :) I thought you were done with EasterN??? You are still teaching?? oh dear. I will call you tomorrow and get the details...

Anonymous said...

Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in His ways (Psalm 128:1)

Blessed are all who fear the teacher who walk in his ways (Me)

Anonymous said...

We are praying and are anxious to hear how the interview went!!
Maybe there ought to be points off for excuses! Jan

Anonymous said...

Everyone wants to be the exception to the no excuses rule! Because we feel exceptional...
Love you,
yer ma