Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A few nights ago, Sarah and I were getting ready for bed when there was a loud knock at the door. It really shouldn't have been that surprising--it was only 9:00 PM--but we really don't get a lot of visitors. With the cats running around like someone had lit their tails on fire (like I said, we don't get a lot of knocking at the door), I went downstairs to see who it was.

Guy at the door: Did you call for a cab?

Me: Looking to see if there was a cab in the driveway and making sure I wasn't being robbed. No.

Guy: Are you sure? This is #623 isn't it?

Me: Yeah. Pretty sure I wouldn't forget calling for a cab. No, this isn't #623.

Guy: Turning to look again at the house number on our porch. Are you sure?

Me: No. You caught me. I don't know my own address. Let me get my coat, and I'll get in the cab that I called. Also, who am I? Yes. I'm sure. The place you want is down the street.

Guy: Oh. Ok.

Apparently, numeral reading is not a mandatory subject in cabbie school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess he was trying to make you feel stupid, so as not to feel too stupid himself! There's gotta be a name for that! Jan

Anonymous said...

Maybe the cats called the cab. You've underestimated them for a long time.

Jabron.

Anonymous said...

So...did you ride in the cab? What color was it? What nationality was the driver? Did he pick up the weird racoon/cat/hedgehog that was on your porch? Was it an early April fool's joke. Did the neighbor call the cab? Was he (said neighbor) giggling through the curtain window of the duplex? Did you think to look? Was it something to do with your wife and another man? This could be serious....

Anonymous said...

Very funny...are you channeling Seinfeld? Next time I say something stupid I want you to tell me what your inner cynic is thinking! Love, Ma