Friday, November 21, 2008

Read no further if you're uninterested in hearing a rant.

I love to play basketball, but I'm really starting to hate playing at the rec center here on campus (the only gym I have access to on a regular basis). Most of the basketball isn't good basketball. People play bad defense and selfish offense. People cheat whenever possible so that their team will win, and they'll get to keep playing. The games are rough, and I usually come home bruised. There are usually three open courts, but there are typically up to 20 people waiting to play on the main court. If I ever say something like, "Hey, instead of sitting out, maybe we could get two more games going and everybody could play at once," but I usually find that people won't even make eye contact with me. I suspect it's because I'm white (98% of the players are black). When I do get in a game, I seldom get the ball passed to me, and I often hear people on the sidelines making fun of me or expecting me to play poorly. Again, I suspect it's because I'm white. Never mind the fact that I'm usually the most fundamentally skilled player in the gym and regularly score at least half of my team's points.

I just want to play basketball, and I'm really tired of not being able to.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...it's time to get 5 or 6 guys (ringers) together and go to the gym with a purpose.

Anonymous said...

Wear a funny t-shirt and crummy shoes and dazzle 'em with your play...

Anonymous said...

Time to scout out new places to play. There must be some "friendly" courts open somewhere in the city...

Anonymous said...

The world can be a cruel place...

Anonymous said...

It's junior high all over again...

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for sports in heaven...

Anonymous said...

I know a great gym at the Black Forest Academy and an old gym rat that could get you game...

Anonymous said...

I think Jabron would say something like this, "Hey, in the end when the game is played and nobody gets hurt and I was able to run up and down the court without humiliating myself, it is all worth it..."

Anonymous said...

Why do we love the things that hurt us?

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE WHITE??

:)
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

But white men can't jump! Jan