Friday, October 31, 2008

I was at the gym the other day, and as I was leaving, I was walking behind two young kids (age 8-10) who were on their way home to dinner. Here's their dialogue.

Kid 1: I can't wait to get home. We're having my favorite food: baked pasta with a red sauce. What's your favorite food?
Me: Pasta with red sauce, what's your problem, kid?
Kid 2: Umm... Ummm... Steak! No, that's not what it's called.
Kid 1: I like pasta. And pizza.
Me: That's better.
Kid 1: And brisket.
Me: Brisket!? I don't think I've ever even eaten brisket!
Kid 1: And corned beef. I love corned beef.
Kid 2: Yeah, that's it! Corned beef! From Zimmerman's.
Me: Wait, what!? What's happening?
Kid 1: Are you from Ann Arbor?
Kid 2: Yes.
Kid 1: Me too.
Me: Oh. So that's what it's like to be the child of a yuppie...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meat, potatoes, vegetables...I ate my first salad my freshman year in college (1973)

Anonymous said...

Yes, alas you were the child of a hippie not a yuppie...bet those kids didn't have a organic carob birthday cake sweetened with organic honey for their first birthday! :)Mom