Thursday, September 25, 2008

This week, in the classes that I teach, the first assignment of the semester was due. For some reason, a few students always have trouble with figuring out what to do. Since the directions for the assignment are expressly laid out in the textbook in five bullet points, I usually say something like,
"For the love of all that's good in the world, please read the directions and then follow them exactly. It's really important that you do, because some of them are really easy, and I would hate to have to take points away for something silly. For example, look at point number two. It says, 'For one point (out of ten), staple or paperclip everything together.' So, please, please, whatever you do, staple or paperclip all your pages together. That way, I won't feel like a jerk for taking off points for something stupid, and you'll get all your points."
I had this conversation three times:

Student: I don't have a staple.
Me: I'm sorry to hear that.
Student: What should I do?
Me: It's actually totally up to you.
Student: (Confused look) So it's okay if I turn it in?
Me: (smiling/blank expression)
Student: So should I just put my name on everything?
Me: (smiling/blank expression)
Student: (Annoyed look, turns in unstapled paper and leaves)
Me: Have a good day!

Not everyone should go to college.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. The family legacy continues at the "university" level. Apparently, students like the one described follow through on what they "didn't" learn at the jr./senior high level...

Anonymous said...

Of course, you will be the reason that their grade was lowered for not following directions and thus "a jerk" in the eyes of said student...

Anonymous said...

Great dialouge, your part was very "cool". I will use it myself as soon as I can...

Rebekah said...

I feel sorry for the kid. He is probably still wondering what he did wrong...

Anonymous said...

I can just picture this--too funny and so MAX. I agree with Rebekah in that the student may not have met anyone like you before. 99% of teachers would have repeated the rules, then argued and/or scolded and/or given the stapler after extracting a promise to remember next time. I am smiling because I have seen the quizical face you reserve for such occasions!:) Mom

Anonymous said...

You are a chip off the old block. Don't let them turn you into a panzy (great slang from the 60's that wouldn't be p.c. today). I am proud of you...

Anonymous said...

amen to that. i like how you handle it. i think i would say you're dumb a lot and walk away. maybe being a teacher isn't my thing then...

Anonymous said...

You ARE a teacher! Jabron