Tuesday, April 22, 2008

When I was a senior in high school, my varsity baseball coach let two 8th graders practice with our team. One of the kids played first base, one of my positions, so I got to know him a little bit. He was nice kid, albeit a little goofy, and he was pretty big at the time, maybe 5'10" 200 lbs. (with about 30 pounds of baby fat), but he obviously hadn't yet grown into his body. Jake Long is now 6'7" and weighs 313 lbs. He runs the 40-yard dash in 5 seconds, has a 28 inch vertical leap, and can bench press 380 pounds. Today, ESPN.com announced that he just signed a 5-year contract with the Miami Dolphins worth $57 million dollars and thus will become the number 1 overall pick in this year's NFL draft.

Eight years ago, I could have squashed him like a bug. In the meantime, I've turned into the typical 'ex-jock', and Jake has become one of the best athletes in the world. Today, Jake was awarded approximately 40 times more money (in one day) than I will make in my lifetime (while, oddly, I was awarded no monies). How the worm turns.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the scheme of things, his skills at game playing nab him an extra extra large portion of the available financial resources in this country...doesn't make sense to me, but you sports fans just keep paying for those tickets, beers and souveneirs! I could think of a couple of ways to use that money...oh, feed or insure the poor, etc.
Mom the sports pooper

Anonymous said...

haha! that was a nice blog. weird how life goes and really REALLY sad how much more athletes get paid then hard working MUCH MORE NECESSARY TO THIS WORLD academics that PAY crazy amounts to become as smart and specialized as they are...
oh man I will get angry if I keep thinking about this

Anonymous said...

lol i just read mom's comment.
so I will do the same.

Sister the sports pooper

Anonymous said...

So what? He doesn't have Sarah as his wife! Jabron.

P.S. ~ Am I the only one concerned about the Pistons losing their first game in the playoffs?

Anonymous said...

I have thought a lot about Jake. The Bible tells us that there is a way unto men that leads to death and that it is harder for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven than it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. Poor Jake, he needs to seek God's wisdom with these gifts and benefits he has received and beg His mercy to show him how to handle all that goes with this responsiblity of wealth, fame, and honor. To much is given, much is expected. Let's all pray that Jake will be as wise as Solomon and use this great gift to the glory of God...